PURPLE AND NOT STARLING
Much has been written about hackling over the years, by a variety of authors. I love silk thread and I personally like sparse hackle on all my flies, the fish like them. I hope you enjoy them too.
- Hook: Tiemco 102Y size 15
- Thread: Pearsall's silk thread in purple
- Rib: Danville fine wire in silver
- Dubbing: Muskrat, natural still in hide
- Hackle: Conranch JV hen hackle
Start the thread 1 1/2 -2 lengths behind hook eye
Attach wire and build a nice tapered body, down to the tip of the barb
Wrap wire back to starting point
Dub a small thorax with natural gray muskrat, guard hairs removed
Strip 1 side off a JV hen hackle of appropriate length and tie in
Wrap 1 full to 1 1/2 wraps, whip finish and clip off the feather and thread.
For more great info, check out: