How To Make a Wing Burner
By Dave Ulmer (slicfoot)
2. With a hammer flatten the strip at the bend.
3. Draw the shape you want on the open ends.
4. Clamp the brass with the vise grips as shown below.
5. With a saw and a file cut the brass to the desired shape while it is clamped in the vise grips. Smooth off the sharp edges with a file.
6. The photo below shows a feather held in the burner. Use a lighter to burn the feather that is sticking out around the metal burner, but do NOT burn off the quill stem.
7. This is the finished fly. The wing is about 1 1/4 inches long.
8. Caddis and the wing burner.
Archive of Tying Tips
[ HOME ]
[ Search ] [ Contact FAOL ] [ Media Kit ]
FlyAnglersOnline.com © Notice