- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell.
- Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.