Welcome to Warmwater Fishing!

I Didn't Wanna' See It

By Rick Zieger, Iowa

It is December first and the bottom has dropped out of the air temperatures. The big storm is south and east of us. So we have the cold and the wind but no snow. The temperatures were in the mid twenties and the wind was about 15 mph. It appears that my fishing days are coming to an end for this season, if the Weather Channel is to be trusted.

I decided that I should head to the lake over my lunch hour. I might not stay long, but the chance to catch a fish is not something to be passed up.

The lakes and ponds are up and discolored from the rain we got at the beginning of the week. I was happy to see that happen. The main reason is that as the ground freezes there is less chance of the water line to the house freezing. The lake appears to have come up about eight inches from the rain.

When I got to the lake it was time to try to decide what fly might be used. I went with a garbage bugger. It was tied on a size 8 hook. In the bag at the base of my vise were about six strands each of some red and some yellow flash type materials. I tied those on as a tail. There was a short piece of olive and a short piece of brown chenille in the bag. I also found a couple of pieces of hackle.

I tied both the hackles, one a dry fly and the other a hen hackle on the hook. I then tied on the olive chenille and wrapped it up the hook as far as it went and then tied the brown chenille on to finish the body of the fly. I palmered the hackles up the body with the dry fly hackle behind the hen hackle. I thought the dry fly hackle might hold the other hackle up a little better. The last thing was to put a small set of barbell eyes on the top of the hook. This way it would not snag as easily. Everything but the hook and barbell eyes came out of my garbage bag, thus the name.

I had a 9 foot leader on. I cast straight out into the pond and let the fly drop for about 30 seconds. I wanted it to be deep where I thought the fish might be. I made strips of about two inches and then let the fly set again for about five seconds.

I had moved the fly about two feet when I felt resistance and set the hook. I had a crappie on the line. This fish did not fight very much as the water is pretty cold. I released this fish to grow bigger and cast out again. This time I had moved the fly much farther before I felt the hit. This was a nice sized bluegill that did not like the idea of being hooked. Again, not a lot of fight, but the fish turned sideways and put a nice bend in the rod.

After I cleaned the ice out of the guides, I tried another cast. I managed to not do what JC preaches about. I did not keep my back cast up and ended up with the fly being hooked up in the bushes someplace. I had to reel in the line and follow it to find the fly. As I was getting this fly loosened I saw a yellow boa yarn leech that I had lost about a month ago. Another time my back cast did not stay up.

Back to the water to try a cast that might land in the water. When I went to make the first strip I felt resistance and set the hook. This time it was a green sunfish that was on the line. This was a large fish and took a while to get it in. I had to use my forceps to reach the hook in this fish. This is unusual for me at this time of year. Most of the fish are lip hooked.

My next cast went to a place that I had not aimed at. A gust of wind came up and dropped the fly about three feet farther south than I had wanted it to go. I was afraid I might get caught in some brush that is out there. A nice bass took care of that for me. She inhaled the fly and then headed for the middle of the pond. I let her go with just a little pressure. I had a light leader on and did not want to break it. After about ten minutes I had a nice bass to the shore. She was about 16 inches long and was returned to the water.

It was time to leave. My fingers were numb. I could not feel the line as I retrieved it. I am going to have to look into a pair of fishing gloves so I can stay out longer. I had been smart enough to leave the keys in the truck. That meant I could start it and get some warm air going.

It was fun to be out and even more fun to catch four species of fish on a garbage fly. I will try this fly again if the thing I did not wanna see stays away. In all the little bays and along the shore where the vegetation is still sticking up through the water there was ice today.

I am not sure how many days are left.

Hope you can get out on the water. ~ Rick

Archive of Warm Water

[ HOME ]

[ Search ] [ Contact FAOL ] [ Media Kit ]

FlyAnglersOnline.com © Notice