Welcome to Panfish!

Spot on the Spot

Rick Zieger
By Richard Zieger, Iowa
I went out Saturday morning for my normal fishing excursion. There was no wind. The surface of the pond was mirror flat. I could see fish active right on the edge of the pond. Water would splash onto the shore when they broke the surface. Time to be excited and see what I can do with these fish. I thought a surface fly would work well so I put on a popper with a midge dropper.

I got everything into the canoe and got out on the water. My first four casts resulted in bass from 6" to 22" long. I think the bass were chasing fry against the shoreline. I moved out a little farther and started casting. I was not getting anything so I decided to try a subsurface fly.

This is the time of year when I really like to use a Peacock Sword Tail Nymph (in Ricks Favorite Bluegill flies). I tied on an olive one and cast it into an opening in the vegetation along the shore. There was a cooperative gill there that liked the fly and the tussle was on. It took a few minutes and some work to get around the weeds but I finally got a nice fat 9 inch gill into the canoe. As my normal pattern I cast about 10 feet away and got another gill to hit.

I am not sure why I decided to do this but I cast back into the same place I had cast before. I got another gill that was a carbon copy of the first one. I cast again and was about 2 feet to the side of where I had been before. No fish at all. I cast back to the same spot and had another gill take the fly. I think that I am beginning to see a pattern here. The fish seem to be stacked in certain spots and will not move to take a fly. I don't run onto this pattern very often, but when it happens it can be very frustrating until you figure it out.

I backed off the shore line about 20 feet and started casting to every opening and depression in the weeds along the shore. If I did not catch a fish on the first two casts I abandoned the spot and cast to the next. If I caught one fish then I would catch a few more at the same spot.

After casting to this area I moved down the pond. This is when the great fun began. I was catching gills that ran from 11 to 12 inches long. These were big enough to put back into the pond. I sure want those big genetics to reproduce. I caught about 50 fish this size along the shore line as I moved around.

At each location it was casting to the same spot. I could not be off a foot and have the fish hit the fly. As long as I hit that spot there would be a fish. I did try casting to the side and had no luck. I did catch several bass along the edge also. All of the fish seemed to be near the shore. I think it is still fry eating time.

I had some other things that I needed to get done so I headed home. I ended up with 39 gills and two crappie at home. I know that I returned many more than that. It was a fun morning. I think I will be fishing with anglerdave next weekend.

Hope you can get out on the water. ~ Rick ziegeria@grm.net

Archive of Panfish

[ HOME ]

[ Search ] [ Contact FAOL ] [ Media Kit ]

FlyAnglersOnline.com © Notice