+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has this happened to you?

Hybrid View

Default Has this happened to you?

This happened to me twice while tying up some stone flys. I may be heavy handed, but shouldn?t the thread break before he kook does?

Size 8 heavy nymph style Hooks. Not going to mention the hook brand, but it is a MAJOR brand.

C6ACA8F2-6F11-4396-A357-AB5785659A78.jpg

SCG

If it’s a Tiemco 200 I wouldn’t be surprised; never been a big fan of them

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Don't you hate it when you are just finishing tying a fly and it happens?
    I guess it is better than having it happen on the stream. I've missed strike from several fish before finally checking my fly and finding the broken point.
    Ted

One of them broke while I was pushing the thread wraps back from the eye before whip finishing.

WITH MY FINGER TIPS! Applying a few pounds pressure max.

SCG.

Yes, it has happened to me when I was flattening the barb or shortly afterwards. Happened another time while fishing. Don't remember brands, but I do use allot of TMC hooks.
    God Bless America

Never happened to me when tying but worst it has when fishing. I learned to check my hook when several fish get off. Tightening hooks too much in the vice can cause breaking. Do you use the vise to flatten the barb? The picture looks as if the hook broke at the barb. Fly hooks unlike common hooks are hardened and tempered to prevent straightning Be that as it may, the hooks should have been tempered enough not to break easily. You probably got some bad hooks.

+ Reply to Thread