+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Central Iowa 2019

Three of them were about 15 inches. The rest about 12 inches.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    Three of them were about 15 inches. The rest about 12 inches.

Rick
    Wow! 15" is a pretty big crappie! Nice work, Rick!
    David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

Flyfished a public pond Saturday evening.
    Caught bluegills, crappies, and bass.

The bass was a beauty! 20.5".

Flyfished Sunday afternoon. Fished 4 other public ponds.
    Caught bass, crappies, and bluegills again.
    Caught my PB Bluegill (10.5", on the left in the picture) at one pond, and a really nice 9.5" bluegill (on the right in the picture) at a 2nd pond.

Jay fished the last 2 ponds with me, and took a picture of me with the biggest bluegill.

Now here's the weird thing....I looked at the times when the big bass and the big bluegill pictures were taken. I took the first picture of the bass at 4:33pm on Saturday. Jay took my picture with the big bluegill at exactly 4:33pm on Sunday. WHAT????????
    David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Synchronized fishing ? Now that's cool lol You surely hit their feeding times. Nice fish Dave

Tried out the Micro Gamechanger on Friday evening. It worked! Crappies liked it.

I had a something very heavy on briefly...possibly a big bass, or just a snag. It was moving towards me, but it wasn't on long enough to know if it was something alive.
    And then the unthinkable occurred. I caught a White Bass on the Micro Gamechanger...from a pond! 13.25".

David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

Great looking fly and very nice fish! GT?
    iaflyfisher

Quote Originally Posted by iaflyfisher View Post
    Great looking fly and very nice fish! GT?
    Thanks! Not GT. REN.
    David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

My buddy Jay and I spent 3 days in NE Iowa flyfishing trout streams this week.
    First, the stream conditions: NE Iowa has gotten a LOT of rain in the past 3 weeks, including one event that dumped 4.5" of rain in 2 hours. There were many road sections that got washed out. Some are still being repaired. The streams are still high, muddy, with fast current. Tough fishing condtions for sure.
    Weather conditions: Although central Iowa was pretty decent, NE Iowa averaged about 8 degrees cooler. I think it may have hit 48 degrees one day, which was the warmest of the 3 days. We had some light rain one afternoon. It was windy 2 of the 3 days, but fishing was do-able for the most part.
    Other factors: Brown trout are spawning at the moment. They typically spawn in shallow gravel stretches with quick current. Tough to fish, and very spooky. Saw some large trout, though!

The first 2 days, we fished streams that contained ONLY naturally reproducing populations of brown trout and/or brook trout. No stocked fish. So, trout numbers were lower than the typical frequently-stocked streams.

The last day we fished some streams that are stocked. We had not seen any other anglers on the non-stocked streams, but there were plenty of folks fishing every one of the stocked streams we went to.

I didn't fish it very long, but I did catch one brown trout on the Micro Gamechanger....so that was pretty cool.

As it turned out, most of the fish we caught on Day 1 were Brook Trout. I did manage to get the Trout Slam, though (Brown, Brook, and Rainbow). Most of the trout on Day 2 were Browns. Most of the trout on Day 3 were Rainbows.

Anyway...on to the pictures!

Jay caught this very colored-up awesome brookie:

and this one was pretty colorful too:

This was my Day 1 slam:

David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

(There was a 10-photo limit on the previous post....)

Great trip! One tip...if you are in the area, stop and eat at Dave's Gus & Tonys restaurant in Waukon. Excellent food, great prices!
    David Merical
    Ankeny, Iowa

Dave,
    You're going to make me learn to do some of those game changers. Nice crappie too.....along with the rest of those piscatorial targets you have been pestering so well.
    ....lee s.

p.s. I just love pics of troutoids with ALL their fins. Such a rarity here in Ca.

+ Reply to Thread