+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening

Hybrid View

1. Default Knife Sharpening

I have never had the patience to sharpen my knives by using a stone. Grinding wheels seem to damage the knives. Recently I clamped my belt sander upside down on the work table, locked it in the on position and used it to sharpen knives. It worked great and was real easy to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slough foot View Post
    I have never had the patience to sharpen my knives by using a stone. Grinding wheels seem to damage the knives. Recently I clamped my belt sander upside down on the work table, locked it in the on position and used it to sharpen knives. It worked great and was real easy to do.
    This works for me.
    finish them off with the bottom of a ceramic tea cup, a couple of swipes and they are done and it will "put the edge back on if they need a touch up.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I learned to sharpen knives using a wet stone from my Dad. There is a little knack to it and I'm sure if someone gave you a first hand, live demonstartion you would pick up the knack of it without any problem. In the meantime, I keep one of those plastic handled shapeners in the kitchen drawer for sweetie so she can keep her kitchen knives sharpe and that she does! It's yellow in color, the nameon the side of it is "Smith's" and I bought it down at the local hardware store. Does as good as I can do with the wet stone!

Dale

"It's yellow in color, the nameon the side of it is "Smith's" and I bought it down at the local hardware store. Does as good as I can do with the wet stone!"

Yep...less than $5 at Wal-Mart....quick and easy....doesn't do a perfect job but good enough for government work.

slough foot; I'm curious........ what grade/grit, paper do you use on your belt sander for your sharpening? (I'd guess, a grade of emery paper?)

I had used an oil stone, (Arkansas stone), for years, until my steadiness and grip "gave out", recently and then I bought a "Firestone" electric sharpener.
    Single slot, opposing wheels, hollow ground edge, when done. Since using it, I've found out what a "real razor's edge" truly is, on all the knives I own... from kitchen to fillet blades. Never have been able to "stone sharpen" a knife as SHARP as the Firestone can make an edge.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A little tip on knife sharpening. Pocket knives should be honed at a 30 degree angle so it will hold it's edge longer. Kitchen/filet knives should be honed at a 25 - 20 degree angle and hobby knives/blades need a 17 degree angle.
    I have a "Lansky" sharpening set that lets you maintain these angles. A medium Arkansas stone is great for pocket knives as it will give you a very fine serated edge that cuts just about anything quickly.
    Of course it all depends on the quality of the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    slough foot; I'm curious........ what grade/grit, paper do you use on your belt sander for your sharpening? (I'd guess, a grade of emery paper?)

I had used an oil stone, (Arkansas stone), for years, until my steadiness and grip "gave out", recently and then I bought a "Firestone" electric sharpener.
    Single slot, opposing wheels, hollow ground edge, when done. Since using it, I've found out what a "real razor's edge" truly is, on all the knives I own... from kitchen to fillet blades. Never have been able to "stone sharpen" a knife as SHARP as the Firestone can make an edge.
    Like Flybender I also use the Firestone Electric. Works great.

Tim

Guys,
    I know a belt sander will get a knife sharp in a hurry, but please do not use that on a good knife. The heat generated by sanding can damage the temper on the blade and cause it to not hold that fine edge very long.

There are grinders designed for knife sharpening that keep the stone wet so that it does not heat the blade. They're expensive.

A good whett stone, some honing oil, and a leater strop with some jewleer's rouge combined with about 15 minutes of your time is by far the best way to sharpen a good knife.

Jeff

I have a Gatco system, which is a Lansky clone, for my kitchen and carry knives and getting the same angle on every stroke is all important for a fine edge. For your shop tools, chisels, planes, etc. go to "www.shavings. net/scary.htm#original" and see a simple way to get wood shavings so thin they are almost transparent. Just get the gadget that keeps the chisel and plane blades at the same angle, follow directions and you may not believe how sharp you can get your tools.
    Last edited by Bluegiller; 02-08-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed,go fishing, then try, try again.

i usually use a flat diamond rock.... if i have to sharpen a knife & happened to leave the stone at home, i roll down the car window half way & use the edge of the window to sharpen with....

+ Reply to Thread