VADNAIS FAMILY'S FRENCH PORK PIE
This is a recipe from my mother-in-laws family recipe book. The Vadnais family is a mixture of Canadian French and Canadian Indigenous Canadians. This recipe makes 6 French Pork Pies.
- 10 Cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1-½ pound (3 cups) lard.
- 2 cups cold water
Mix ingredients as you would for a regular pie crust. Mixing with your hands and fingers is very important.
- 6 pounds of fresh ground pork butt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- ½ teaspoon ground sweet basil
- 1-¼ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ¾ cup flour
- 8 cups cold water
- Prepare pie crust in advance.
- Mix ground pork and seasonings.
- Palace meat in kettle and add water.
- Cook slowly until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Add salt, pepper and flour.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour in pie shells and top with a second crust.
- Make a hole the size of a quarter in the top crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Can be frozen and rewarmed at a later date.
- Musselman's Spice Apple Butter